The Ulisse Netcam in a P&T unit specifically designed to fit network cameras inside its housing. It is a full IP, ONVIF based solution, meaning that every ONVIF Profile S camera can be used in the Ulisse Netcam, and every ONVIF capable VMS can connect and control the P&T.
To allow a correct communication with the Ulisse Netcam, the camera and the VMS must be configured accordingly. This article describes all the basic activities to be performed on the parts (camera, Ulisse, VMS) to have the system running.
As stated above, the Ulisse just manages ONVIF Profile S certified cameras. The very first check should be done using the list of certified hardware provided by the ONVIF organization here. It is also a good idea to have a check with Technical Support about the camera that it is going to be used: despite being certified, some cameras may have limitations on functions required for a perfect compatibility.
Before installing the camera inside the Ulisse housing:
- Connect the camera directly to your PC (back-to-back).
- Open a web browser, and connect the camera using the default IP addess.
Depending on the camera manufacturer, a different default IP address is used; check on the camera documentation which IP address the camera uses.
Your PC must be also configured properly with an IP address compatible with the camera's address: same Subnet, different IP address.
- Insert a valid username and password, which grant administration rights.
- Browse to the camera configuration page, enabling the following features:
- DHCP: the camera must obtain an IP address automatically;
- HTTP Port Number 80: web services must run on the default TCP port;
- NTP Date & Time Synch: the internal camera clock must be synchronized with the Ulisse's.
- Be sure that the ONVIF Services are enabled on the camera.
Some cameras require to enable the ONVIF agent, as well as to set a user/password to be used by the ONVIF manager to connect the camera, which can be different respect those used by the web interface.
- Set the required Streaming Profile parameters: encoding (H.264, MPEG4, MJPEG), resolution (Full HD, 3Mpx, ...), frame rate (30fps, 25fps, ...), bitrate.
It is strongly advised not to exceed 10Mbps for the bitrate, to avoid congestion occurences on the Ulisse. Such limit ensures a good video quality at most common resolutions.
- Connect the camera with the ONVIF Device Manager to ensure that the camera is ready to accept ONVIF requests.
Install the camera inside the Ulisse housing:
Following the instructions given on the Ulisse User Manual, install properly the camera inside the housing.
Pay attention to the camera power connection, which must not be wired directly to the 12VDC/GND housing clamps; camera power must be given across the D/N switch, as depicted inside the manual.
Want to know why? check the following article: ULISSE NETCAM: why the camera can not be powered directly.
The Ulisse provides a web interface which all the configurations are done from.
- Switch on the Ulisse, and wait for the boot procedure to be completed.
- Connect the Ulisse directly to your PC (back-to-back).
- Open a web browser, and connect the Ulisse using the default IP address (192.168.0.100).
Your PC must be also configured properly with an IP address compatible with the camera's address: same Subnet, different IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.50).
- Insert the default username (admin) and password (admin).
- Browse to the Network Configuration page:
- Addressing: Set the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, as per your network address planning;
- NTP: Enable the NTP Server Synch (STATIC), and insert the NTP Address;
- Press the SEND button to enable your settings, confirming the unit's request to reboot.
- Browse to the Camera Settings page:
- Protocol and Authentication: Set the ONVIF Username and Password, as per what configured inside the camera (check #5 in the previous section);
- Lens Features: Set the lens type installed inside the housing (INTEGRATED or MOTORIZED);
- Hit the SEND button to confirm your settings, allowing the Ulisse to reboot.
A correct configuration allows:
- to see the Camera's Streaming Profile parameters from the Camera Settings page; selecting a different Profile ID, the related parameters are retrieved from the camera.
- to see video snapshot from the User Interface page.
The Video Management System
Before connecting the Ulisse to the planned Video Management System (VMS), it is useful to have a check with the ONVIF Device Manager previously installed.
To allow the VMS authentication at ONVIF level, it is necessary for the Ulisse and the VMS machine to be time-aligned. Be sure to have the same NTP source for both the Ulisse and the Operating System, or to manually synchronize the Ulisse from the VMS server.
- Run the ONVIF Device Manager, insert the Username (admin) and Password (admin) to connect the Ulisse, and press the Log in button.
- Select the Ulisse from the Device List; if not automatically detected, press the Add button to manually configure it (URL, with the default address: http://192.168.0.100/onvif/device_service - update with the configured IP address).
- On the NVT section, select the Live Video to retrieve the video stream from the Ulisse, or the PTZ Control to have the manual control option in addition.
Different VMSs require different configuration steps. Be sure to use a VMS able to manage ONVIF Profile S devices, and to select the generic ONVIF Device Driver to connect the Ulisse. Refer to the VMS's User/Administrator manual to check the required steps.